Saturday, November 5, 2011

Inky-Printy-Saturday


Hello everyone!
(and on a side note : Hello! spring sunshine :) Hope you all enjoyed melbourne's 30 degree day today and look forward to more tomorrow!
My day was spent tackling this handprinting challenge!I've always stayed away from lino cuts,mainly coz they can be quite time consuming and painstaking, but I decided it was finally time to bite the dust and give it a go!
I love handprinting but Im so used to the screen printing process that I found it quite a challenge and slightly frustrating doing hand stamping...BUT that said, I did have a great time getting my hands messy and playing around with cutting/painting/printing and all the other good things that come with it!

Here are a few shots from my day...
(My camera broke over the long weekend - was accidentaly dropped...so please excuse my horrible phone camera photography!)



 This is the folksy design I spoke about in my previous post. It was quite intricate n tricky but I managed to cut it out ok.However the printing wasn't as successfull..I think it might have to do with the consistence of the paint and also the type of fabric I was printing on...I plan to do some more tests...





































I ended up using acrylic ink to print with - mixed with a textile medium to adhere it onto the fabic...it worked quite well, but Im still in the process of getting the consistency right...
I did some quick tests on calico and some natural cotton and I think the cotton worked better. I found the calico a bit to textured ...
The polka spot design was done using a lino stamp and the rounded squares using a stamp cut out of some foam...
So..what do you think ? So far so good ?

No comments:

Post a Comment